Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Look At Fashion Ads

For this post I wanted to examine some fashion ads and get the point of view of some of my close friends.  So I chose some ads from this months issue of Vanity Fair showed them to a few friends and got their perspective.  I just wanted to see what they thought about this fashion world that they are not to familiar with.  The outcome ended up being pretty interesting and the way they viewed the ads was pretty close to what I guessed they would be. Enjoy.



The first ad I showed them was an ad from Tommy Hilfiger.  My friend Corey describes it to me...


First covering up the logo I asked him if he could identify what brand the ad was for.

Me: Do you know what brand is being advertised?
Corey: No I have no idea.
Me: It is for Tommy Hilfiger.  Are you familiar with the brand at all?
Corey: All I know is my hero Axel Rose beat up Tommy Hilfiger or something awhile back. And also isn't Tommy Hilfiger a cologne or something?  I thought that is what he was known for.
Me: Yes he does make a cologne. Haha. What stands out to you in the ad?
Corey: Just looks like a bunch of rich people wearing preppy clothes.  The old man in the chair needs to put on some longer pants I don't wanna see those old man legs.  The guy in the top left without the shirt looks creepy like an ax murderer or something.
Me: Haha. Thanks for your time.
Corey: Guns n Roses!


The next ad was for Jimmy Choo.



Covering up the logo at the bottom again I asked my friend Charles this time what he thought of the ad...

Me:  Do you know what brand is being advertised?
Charles:  Nope
Me:  It is for Jimmy Choo.  Are you familiar with the brand? And do you know what they are trying to sell?
Charles:  Hmmm never heard of the brand before.  No idea what they sell.  Looks like it says Jimmy Choo on the bag if you look real close so I guess they sell purses.  The chick is banging hot I love her legs!
Me: Alright anything else? Can you guess how much that purse sells for?
Charles:  Well since its a chick brand, probably really expensive.  Maybe like $700 I'm guessing.  And looking at the ad I have no idea how they were able to take this photo.  Is she jumping or laying down on the ground? She's got to be laying on the ground posing.
Me: Haha. Thanks for the input.
Charles: No prob

The next ad we took a look at was a Louis Vuitton one.




Same as the other ads we analyzed.  I covered up the logo and asked my friend Ryan this time...

Me:  Do you know what brand is being advertised?
Ryan: Ya isn't it Louis Vuitton?
Me:  That is right.  How could you tell and what do you know about the brand?
Ryan:  I could tell by the little LVs on the purses they are holding.  The only reason I know is because girls love that stuff for some reason.  I know its expensive and I think it was Louis Vuitton that had trouble with people selling knockoffs for way less.
Me:  Your on top of your stuff.  What stood out to you when you first looked at the ad?
Ryan:  Well the first thing I thought was triplets.  All the girls look the same.  It also looks like they are on drugs or something.  Like they are coked out or brain dead. Also the clothes are weird and what is the deal with the cherries in the bottom right?
Me:  Haha. Thanks for the description.

The next ad we took a look at was one that was kind of off the wall.  Lanvin Paris.



Me: So what comes to your mind when you look at this ad?
Tim: Um??? Freaky stuff.  I have no idea what these chicks are up to.  Ill try and explain it the best I can.  So first of all they look like they are drug addicts.  The picture on the top looks like they got into an argument and she is trying to pull her out of the room but the girl on the ground is hanging on.  The picture below looks like a similar situation but the girl in red has a little better defense against the girl trying to pull her out.
Me: Haha. Alright.  I'm not familiar with the brand either but do you have any idea of what they are trying to sell?
Tim: Probably the dresses.  Perfect dresses for doing drugs and getting into fights with your friend I guess. Haha.
Me: Haha your guess is as good as mine. Thanks for the input.
Tim: Weird stuff.

I know that these ads don't fit the target market of my friends but I thought it would be interesting to get inside their heads to see things from a different point of view.  Everyone sees things differently and that is what I was trying to examine in this select: other blog entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment